Colorado, Utah Lawmakers Request More Public Input on Sage-Grouse Proposal
March 1, 2013
Colorado U.S. Senator Michael Bennet today was joined by Senators Mark Udall (D-CO), Orrin Hatch (R-UT) and Mike Lee (R-UT) and Representatives Scott Tipton (R-CO), Jason Chaffetz (R-UT) and Jim Matheson (D-UT) in a bipartisan push to gather more public input on the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service’s (FWS) proposed rules for the Gunnison sage-grouse. The lawmakers are requesting FWS hold public hearings and extend the comment period for the proposal by 60 days.
FWS has proposed two rules that would list the Gunnison sage-grouse as an endangered species and would designate over 1.7 million acres of critical habitat in Western Colorado and Eastern Utah.
In a letter to FWS Prairie-Mountain Region Director Noreen Walsh, the lawmakers from Colorado and Utah wrote, “The proposal has engendered great interest and concern among several communities we represent. We feel that on any proposal with implications of this magnitude, the federal government should strive for maximum participation.”
The lawmakers have heard from energy producers, farmers and other constituents about their concerns with the FWS proposal.
- Endangered Species Act Protection is Proposed for Gunnison Sage-grouse (thewildlifenews.com)
- Biodiversity: Feds proposed endangered species listing, critical habitat designation for rare Gunnison sage-grouse (summitcountyvoice.com)
- Team Obama Sets Aside 1.7 Million Acres for Sage Grouse… OR 368 ACRES FOR EACH GROUSE (thegatewaypundit.com)
- Submit your comments on the Sage Grouse Proposal (sagebrushcoalition.com)
- Feds want 1.7 million acres in Utah, Colorado for sage grouse (denverpost.com)
- US taking steps to protect Gunnison sage grouse (denverpost.com)
- Sage Grouse Hearing Held in Monticello (sagebrushcoalition.com)
- A Letter from San Juan County Commissioner Phil Lyman (sagebrushcoalition.com)
- Are endangered species endangering property rights? (sagebrushcoalition.com)
- Colorado Cattlemen Upset With Sage Grouse Plan (denver.cbslocal.com)